GO - The WebGIS that adapts to your needs
Romano Hofmann, management, department head geomatics and GIS, Geozug Ingenieure AG:
"We see our WebGIS GO not only as a publication organ for geodata, but it is also important for our customers that they can manage and edit their own geodata. It is particularly important for work in the field (for example in municipal facilities) that the applications are very easy to use and can be used on different devices. TYDAC knows how to implement the demanding requirements intuitively (even for people new to GIS), creating stunning applications with manifold functionalities. Due to the easy-to-learn development options, we can offer our customers cost-effective, tailor-made GIS applications facilitating their everyday work."
In mid-2019, Geozug Ingenieure AG in Baar decided to build a new WebGIS for its customers. After a thorough market analysis, the decision was made in favor of MAP+. The first applications were already in operation in autumn 2019. Further applications and data from the following departments were gradually migrated:
- Surveying and zoning
- Technical infrastructure
- Traffic and energy
- Territorial and settlement development
- Tourism and leisure
Thanks to the functionality of the new MAP+ modules, almost any tailored application can be developed in a short term and without any programming skills. Examples of implemented, entirely web-based modules in GO:
- Sewage management
- Street information
- Document management
- Tree cadastre
- Traffic signs cadaster
- Street infrastructure
- Waste management
- Administration leased land, corporation land
- Creation and management of drawings
The new version of MAP+: Sophisticated web based GIS
What is outstanding with MAP+ V3?
- Editing of geometries based on WMS services
- Editing of geometries: points, lines. areas, multigeometry (tables with points, lines and areas), island polygons, multipolygons, copying of existing geometries, also from other layers, snap functionality, overlays, etc.
- Editing of attributes: "normal" table contents, default values, lookups, dropdown lists, cascading dropdown lists, bulk editing (example: setting all attributes of a selection). This based on single tables or any combination of relational tables
- Display of attributes, images, videos, PDF links, etc.
- Upload of images, PDF documents, etc. - directly from forms
- Lists: display of object lists, filter by geometry, filter by attributes, combined filtering, display of the selection in the map and export of the results
- PDF reports: map section, attribute values from one or more linked tables, images, results from overlays etc.
And all of this can be implemented without programming knowledge, just using HTML and JSON files. The simpler modules were implemented by Geozug Ingenieure AG itself. The very complex modules such as Sewage Management System were implemented by TYDAC.
User administration: individually tailored applications
The new user administration allows to drill down rights to single attributes. An individual configuration can be defined for each user group with little effort, despite the complexity in a very simple way. For the application of the GVRZ (water protection association of the Zugersee-Küssnachtersee-Ägerisee region), 30 groups with different rights were defined (municipalities, engineering offices, suppliers, etc.).
Terms such as profiles, groups, roles etc. always cause misunderstandings. Here are the terms we use for MAP+:
- Owner of an application
- Top level or main directory
- Example: Province
- Portals of the owner
- Example: Subdirectories of "Province", i.e. municipalities
- Profiles of a portal
- Examples: "public", "restricted"
- Groups (new in V3):
- User groups
- Examples: different "restricted" groups: intranet, extranet, office_x, office_y
New structure of the MAP + configuration
The structure of the configuration files has been changed so that the workload for setting up sites is minimized:
- Configurations that apply to everyone are defined at the owner level. For example all layer and query definitions. If, for example, a layer is added, it only has to be defined at a single location. The assignment is made at portal, profile and group level.
- At the other levels, only different configurations are defined.
- Layer definition and layer structure are now managed separately. This allows you to assign layers and queries at every level with minimal effort.
- Configuration of PDF printing only if it differs from the layer definition.
- National Language Support (NLS) is also defined centrally at the owner level. Only different definitions on the other levels.
Defining user groups rights
User group rights can be assigned as follows:
- Available layers
- Queries: which attributes a user can qeury
- Editing: geometry and attributes can be assigned individually
- Print layouts
Sewage Management Applications
Search, queries, data export
This allows database tables and joins to be published as lists. The functionality includes:
- Filter database content
- Smart boolean filter: no filter, true, false
- Search across all fields
- Geographical selection: selection (toggle single objects on or off), rectangle, polygon. In addition, activate or deactivate the option "only intersected objects"
- Any combination of filters and geographic selection
- Clear selection: clears all filters and selections
- Export function: ESRI Shape, JSON, XML, CSV, TXT, SQL, MS Excel
- Selection of the fields to be displayed
The configuration of the lists is done using JSON files and is a breeze ...
Sewage Management System (KMS = Kanal-Management-System)
Forms and Reports
KMS consists of a large number of complex, editable forms and reports:
- Measures: Maintenance event, associated files (documents, images, videos), damage (videos), see example below
- Investigations: maintenance event, details, files, damage
- Dynamically generated reports: map, database content, photos (incl. link), link to documents: Example
- Synchronization of the data edited in PostGIS with the main SQL Server database
Detailed information about special structures
Elaborate, editable forms were created for the following special structures (in addition to countless reports):
- Autonomous measuring locations
- Discharge points
- Pumping stations
- Rain overflow
- Rain overflow basins
- Rain retention basins
- Dividing structures
The data edited on the web is also synchronized with the main database.
Example pumping station:
Module traffic signs
Traffic signs cadastre of the city of Zug:
- Signs as SVG graphics
- Signs catalogue
- Sign posts
- Reports: example
PDF Reports, additional examples
With this new module, not only maps can be printed as PDF, but also any combination of maps, database entries and geographical overlays. Examples:
- Tree cadastre with extensive information
- Property sheet with live overlay of addresses, land cover and planned objects
- Determination of compensation for Davos winter sports: with live overlays of cross-country trails and winter hiking trails based on width, ground cover, land and, where applicable, land managers. The compensation is then calculated based on the results of the overlay.